Reversing the Effects of Female Genital Mutilation

This is amazing.  Take a look at this piece from Newsweek:

The Kindest Cut

In Colorado, a surgeon helps restore feeling—and so much more—to victims of female genital mutilation.

One day, when Sila Folow was an 8-year-old girl living in Mali, four elderly women held her down on the dirt floor of an outhouse and, in keeping with local tradition, used a sharp blade to cut out her clitoris and most of her labia. Her grandmother and other villagers held a celebration. Sila, bleeding and in terrible pain, could not walk for weeks. Like millions of other African girls who are forced to undergo female genital mutilation—a ritual many women say is intended to ensure that they grow up to become sexually passive wives who will not stray from their husbands—Sila never recovered. She eventually moved to New York, married, and had two children. But she was reluctant to have sex with her husband. It hurt, and the scarring made it impossible for her to feel pleasure.

This May, Sila, now 38 years old, underwent a simple but profound operation to undo the past. She traveled to Trinidad, Colorado, where Dr. Marci Bowers, a gynecological and pelvic surgeon, has recently begun to perform “clitoralplasty” or “female circumcision reversals” on African women. A relatively new procedure, it reshapes the anatomy and, in 80 percent of patients, restores pleasurable sensation. “I want my womanhood back,” Sila told Bowers when she first spoke to the surgeon about the operation. “I just want to know it’s there. To have the feeling that I can fight against this culture.”

Bowers learned the procedure in Europe by observing Dr. Pierre Foldes, a French urologist and surgeon who pioneered the technique after years of humanitarian work in Africa. He has received death threats from radical Islamists for his work as a surgeon and for his other efforts to reduce violence against women, he says. But he continues to train doctors and to perform the surgery.

Foldes—reached by telephone outside Paris—tells NEWSWEEK that more than 3,000 women have come to him, largely because in France, genital reconstruction surgery is covered by national health insurance. (In the United States insurance companies are still mostly unfamiliar with the surgery—only one of Bowers’s patients has so far gotten full medical coverage for the procedure; others are still fighting with their insurance companies or have paid out of their own pockets.

Bowers performs the surgery free of charge, and the hospital caps its fees at $1,700. “As Dr. Foldes has said, you cannot charge money to reverse a crime against humanity,” she says. “Sexuality is a right.”

Bowers speaks from personal experience. She was born male and underwent gender-reassignment surgery to become a woman 11 years ago. She now specializes in sex-change operations; she has performed some 700 of them, and is one of the leading gender-reassignment specialists in the U.S. …Asked if she is worried about the death threats that have followed Foldes, Bowers doesn’t flinch. “I’ve jumped through enough fires and over enough barbed-wire fences in my life by now. I do not fear for my safety.”

One Response to “Reversing the Effects of Female Genital Mutilation”

1. Leigh Ann Mason says:

This IS amazing. After today’s discussion about doctors specializing in women’s reproductive health and the fear they have, it is incredible to read that “Bowers doesn’t flinch”. I came across an article about a Tanzanian Bishop’s goal to “leave behind harmful cultural practices like female genital mutilation” in Africa. I wonder how successful he will be, but it is good to know that steps are being taken in order to protect young women from being stripped of their rights.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0904763.htm