The Mommy Tax

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2001/nf2001032_060.htm

This is a link to a Business Week article about a paper I read in my Kinship, Marriage and Human Sexuality class by Ann Crittenden titled “The Mommy Tax”. I couldn’t find the actual article (and I didn’t want to type the entire thing out), but this article does a good job of summarizing all of her arguments. Basically, she discusses why mothers are among the most discriminated people in America and how this discrimination is embedded in our society not only socially, but in the workforce and government. For example, she states that “a husband and wife who earn a combined income of $81,500 per year and who are equally capable will lose $1.35 million if they have a child.  Most of that lost income is the wages forgone by the primary parent.” I thought this was extremely relevant to our discussions on the way women are still mistreated in what many people consider a “gender equal” society and served as concrete, empirical evidence supporting the prevalence of discrimination against women.