Sex-Ed at Five Years Old?

The article I chose for posting focuses on new sexual education guidelines being formed by the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).  These guidelines, still unfinished, suggest that children should be taught about the risks of sexual activity at an earlier age.  UNESCO is proposing that these guidelines be used worldwide, especially in countries lacking contraception.  Another goal of UNESCO’s is to educate young people about the transmission of H.I.V/AIDS, again, especially in countries where the disease is overwhelmingly prevalent.  The article also discusses opposition to the new guidelines, specifically from American conservatives.  UNESCO proposes that children as young as five years begin to learn about “reproductivity and sexual subjects” at an introductory level.  The reaction and reception of this particular guideline from conservative groups has been negative to say the least.  I think this controversy in sex-ed definitely relates to POL285 because it makes us think about when and how youth should be learning about such important issues.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1920024,00.html

2 Responses to “Sex-Ed at Five Years Old?”

1. Katie Cummings says:

Well, that was interesting. Considering I come from a school district which teaches Abstinence Only, I am concerned about what children would be taught at such a young age. In the fourth grade all the females and their mothers had a meeting about menstruation and topics of that nature, while the boys had extra time at recess. I don’t think that these are things that need to be taught in the US at the age of 10 or younger. But, I am not familiar with other country’s beliefs and practices, so I don’t want to say that no one can teach about menstruation to children younger than 10, but I don’t see a relevance at younger ages. As for masturbation, I am believe that it should be covered in sexual education classes starting at the middle school age, not in elementary school. If parents see it as an issue or a question your child has before middle school, they can address it as they see fit.

2. Amanda says:

While we’re at it we should introduce them to the subject of natural family planning, kids are too scared to buy contraceptives.