For Those Who Wish We All Weren’t So Blatant…

A friend of mine posted a link to this article from “TommieMedia” on Facebook a week or so ago; and it immediately reminded me of “For the Straight Folks Who Don’t Mind Gays but Wish They Weren’t So Blatant.” This article is a list of the five worst forms of public displays of affection, compiled by a St. Thomas student.  It isn’t a serious article at all, but I’m still really glad that we’ve realized that the “straight folks” can be excessively blatant as well, not just the “gays.”  I sense that a lot of people would enjoy not seeing such public displays of affection (from anyone).  Often times, I think that people who tend to embody some degree of homophobia target only homosexual people and their public displays of affection; completely ignoring heterosexual displays of affection – in their attempt to “prove a point.”

Another thing I found interesting was the language used in this article.  While the author uses the example of Joey and Jenna (a heterosexual couple), the author does use the term “partner” several times in the article.  This reminds me of our discussions on making sexual orientation ambiguous.  Even though the author uses this term perhaps trying to signify that he is referring to all kinds of couples, he still tends to clarify that partner, for him at least, refers to heterosexual partners only.  However, I am glad to see that terms like partner, spouse and significant other are becoming more common.  All that is left is to stop clarifying heterosexual orientation when we use these terms.  Really, why do we need to clarify?!

http://www.tommiemedia.com/diversions/take-five-worst-forms-of-pda/#comments