Canadian Sex Workers Challenge Criminal Code

I found this article and thought it was fairly interesting. In Canada, where prostitution is theoretically illegal (see article), some of the women who are prostitutes are challenging the country’s ban on “acts associated with prostitution”. The primary reason for the opposition to the ban is it decreases the security for the women who run fairly complex and “classy” operations. There is opposition to the prostitutes though. The Ottawa based group REAL Women of Canada is a large opponent, along with, who would have guessed it, religious groups such as the Christian Legal Fellowship and the Catholic Civil Rights League, who are all in favor of completely outlawing prostitution all together. I thought this was fairly relevant, because we had the debate about reckless sex, but also because it deals with personal privacy, and the consequences of having privacy. I also think it brings up an important question: why is prostitution illegal? If it were legalized, and strong efforts were made to limit the spread of disease to the average rate (that being the rate of spread between consensual, non-prostituted sex), then what’s the problem? An important debate that needs to be brought up more, instead of being pushed under the rug because sex is a taboo topic.